[texbirds] Re: Cormorant ID

  • From: "Arlie Cooksey" <cooksey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 14:41:02 -0600

This is a Double-crested Cormorant, probably second-year. It is not
uncommon to see imm. DCCOs with a whitish area at the base of
the gular pouch. Once in awhile, we find a Neotropic that shows
gular pouch color extending above the gape line, into the lores.
These are mostly immatures. In those instances, the color around
the lores is usually quite limited and is a "dry mustard" color in those
few NECOs that show it.  DCCOs gular areas are most usually the
"pumpkin" orange of this bird.

Also, as the gular pouch ends at the cheek, it ends in a rounded
effect, not the sharp pointed effect of NECO.

You can also sort of get an idea of rounded effect of the scapular
feathers in this photo, indicative of DCCO, whereby NECO scap
feathers appear slightly pointed.

Mel Cooksey
Corpus Christi