[texbirds] Continuing Tropical Parula @ Edinburg Scenic Wetlands, Hidalgo Co.

  • From: Javier Gonzalez <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 13:11:26 -0600

Hello Texbirders,
The Tropical Parula first found on 12/27/13 is continuing here at the
Edinburg Scenic Wetlands and World Birding Center in Hidalgo County. A
couple of birders reported seeing it this morning (1/7/14) moving with a
mixed flock. The bird has mainly been seen around the Dragonfly Pond on the
Northeast side of the main grounds, but has also been seen in the trees in
front of park building. It seems to be getting a bit more familiar with the
park. We did not see it during our bird walk this morning (every tuesday
morning), but we did get good looks at a Common Pauraque in the Cactus
Gardens, a nice assortment of ducks at South Pond, and a very cooperative
young male Vermilion Flycatcher also at South Pond. We didn't see any of
the kingfishers this morning either, but the Ringed and Green Kingfisher
were also seen by some visiting birders this morning. The Kingfishers are
regularly seen at North Pond, especially in the morning time.

Here's a list of the birds seen during the bird walk this morning:

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands WBC (LTC 061), Hidalgo, US-TX
Jan 7, 2014 8:30 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Area
40.0 ac
Comments:     Tuesday Bird Walk. A bit cold out, but dry.
46 species (+1 other taxa)

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  20
Blue-winged Teal  20
Northern Shoveler  30
Green-winged Teal  28
Canvasback  1
Redhead  2
Ring-necked Duck  8
Greater Scaup  1     Very rounded head and obvious black bill tip even at a
distance. Lesser                                       Scaups around for
good comparison.
Lesser Scaup  9
Ruddy Duck  45
Plain Chachalaca  6