[texbirds] Concerns at Anahuac NWR - An Apology

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 07:01:57 -0600

TEXBIRDers,
Please see the message bellow from Tim Cooper, the Project Leader at
Anahuac NWR. Tim sent this to TEXBIRDS last evening at about 5:30 and even
though I approved it immediately (twice actually) it has never distributed
to the list. I've forwarded it to the list because I believe its critical
that this gets out
--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX

My name is Tim Cooper, and I am writing as the person responsible for the
employees, programs and operations at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s
Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge (NWR).   I was appalled as I read the
inappropriate comments that were written by Refuge Biologist Patrick
Walther, in response to a post regarding refuge management practices at
Anahuac NWR.   I recognize that there is no excuse for this conduct, and I
will be taking appropriate disciplinary action on this matter.

I also would like to extend my apologies to David Hanson and anyone else
that took offense at the comments from one of the refuge staff members.   I
recognize that this unendorsed commentary from a refuge employee represents
a serious breach of trust with the public.

I can assure you that these comments do not reflect the views of the
Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge staff and volunteers who work tirelessly
to help keep the refuge running.   My entire team will be working to assure
that the birding community, and other refuge visitors, are extended the
courtesy and respect they deserve as users and owners of our National
Wildlife Refuges.    Refuge employees recognize that we have an obligation
to our visitors, and I would ask that you not let the misguided comments of
one individual blemish your relationship with the Anahuac NWR.    Most of
the people that are greeting the public at the refuge are volunteers.
  These wonderful people contributed over 11,000 hours last year in an
effort largely focused to help visitors enjoy the refuge.  I hope that you
will consider making another trip to Anahuac NWR to enjoy the resources
that you have helped us protect and manage through the years.  Thank you.

Tim Cooper
Project Leader
Anahuac NWR