[texbirds] Concan, Chalk Bluff Park Thanksgiving week

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds \(texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 14:50:33 -0800 (PST)

Just back
from a short Thanksgiving fling west of San Antonio. The birds around
Neal's
Lodge in Concan were not as numerous or varied as I'd get in May but still
worthy.
Best was
very close long looks at tame Verdins, feeding with Lesser Goldfinches. A pair
of Pyrrhuloxias,
some black throated sparrows, field sparrows and canyon towhees were much
appreciated.
I was
surprised to find that a spotted sandpiper has decided to winter along the
river this year.
No hummers, swallows and I could only find Carolina and Bewick's Wren (wanted
rock and

canyon wrens). The best place to look for birds is the dirt road in back,
leading to cabin #56.
 I left some seed out on the feeders for the birds but the raccoon at night
takes much of it. I also

noticed that fallow deer have really torn up the sod.

Chalk Bluff Park just west of Uvalde had a Ringed Kingfisher and three Green
Kingfishers
near the boat launch. Lots of warblers at the east end where there is campers,
willows and pecan
and they bathed in the leaky water faucet puddle. All the yellow rumped were
Audubon's type,
one orange crowned, one black throated gray warbler. The whole gang was hanging
with a noisy
Ladder backed Woodpecker, Bewick's Wren, two rufous crowned and several clay
colored
sparrows. Say's Phoebe, Eastern Phoebe, Eastern Bluebirds and a roadrunner
along road going
into the park.

Carolyn Dill
Houston, TX