[texbirds] Common Raven successful nest Oak Hill/Austin

  • From: Noreen Baker <gnbaker92@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 12:08:47 -0500

Texbirders,
I have been keeping a watchful eye on a Common Raven nest high up on the
billboard at the intersection of Hwy 290 and FM 1826.  I observed the
adults bringing food to the nest back on May 5th and heard a nestling or
nestlings begging .  Today I was finally able to observe a single fledged
bird outside the nest and even saw it make a short flight.

I think this is an interesting nest in that it is fairly far south and east
for this species to nest and it is in a fairly urban setting. I'd be
interested to hear of other nesting attempts in the area or farther
south/east.

Thanks,
Noreen Baker
Austin, Texas