[texbirds] Common Poorwills in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 11:06:29 -0500

Greetings All:
I wandered in to work this morning (lots of exam-related chores) and noted
a Common Poorwill sitting in the middle of the road at about 9:30.  I got
out of the car to see if the bird was okay and it flew off.  On a whim, I
spent five minutes driving around the various parking lots, noting three
other Common Poorwills - all on pavement in broad daylight, all just fine.
Can't help but wonder a) how many might be tucked into the bushes around
the building and b)why this has been such a spectacular fall for this
species at this site?

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock