[texbirds] Common Cranes, Honeycreeper and the Freeport CBC!

  • From: "Robert White" <dmarc-noreply-modpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "glqman@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 22:13:55 +0000 (UTC)

You're back from chasing the Common Cranes and the Honeycreeper.  They're
yesterday's news.  Now it's time to pay it forward, and contribute to the
oldest continuous citizen science project in the world.
The World Famous Freeport Christmas Bird Count takes place on Sunday,
December 21st. I am seeking assistants to help count the birds at Brazoria
National Wildlife Refuge and adjacent private property.
Whether you are an expert birder or a casual watcher, this is your chance to
contribute to this excellent citizen science program and meet and learn from
other birders.  Don't worry about skill level - I'll be sure to team everyone
up appropriately.

There are options to bird from your car or a bicycle, walk, or even kayak or
canoe. Yes, some areas are only accessible from the water. I particularly need
a number of people who are willing to walk through the adjacent woods for three
hours or so in the morning to get passerines, and one or two more who want to
pull on the rubber boots to go count shorebirds in the area known as the slop
bowl.   If you’re a photographer, there will be plenty of opportunities.

You'll be able to visit areas of the refuge that are not generally open to the
public. I have also secured permission to access the adjacent private property
which has produced excellent passerines in recent years. Some of the rarities
seen in this area of the Freeport count in past years include Green Towhee,
Groove-billed Ani, Short-eared Owl and Western and Couch's Kingbirds. We'll
meet at 7:00 AM at the visitor center. There are more areas to cover in the
afternoon if you want to stay, but some people only do a half day. Everyone who
participates is invited to the countdown dinner Sunday evening. Let anyone else
who might be interested know about it.
Last year we identified 135 species within this portion of the count circle,
including 12 "exclusives", birds not found anywhere else within the Freeport
Circle   Brazoria NWR:   From the intersection of Highway 288 and FM 523
in Angleton, take FM 523 to Highway 2004 intersection. Continue on 523 for 5.5
miles to County Road 227. Turn left on CR 227 and proceed 1.7 miles to the
refuge entrance. The visitor center at which we meet is about three miles
beyond the gate.  Do not just type the refuge name into your GPS device.
It will send you to the administrative office. Please reply to
bobwhitebsacbc@xxxxxxxxx if you're planning on coming so I'll know to look for
you, and let me know if you'd prefer driving, walking, or slogging through the
marsh.  And anyone who wants to meet me at the front gate at 5:30 AM to look
for owls is certainly welcome.
Bob WhiteArea 5 Leader - Freeport Cjhristmas Bird Countbobwhitebsacbc@xxxxxxxxx
281-455-4254