[texbirds] Common Crane update: no

  • From: Susan Yost <sdyost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds - Email <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 08:03:34 -0600

Well, if the Common Crane is still in or around Muleshoe NWR we did not find
it.  The TX Wildlife rangers did a survey Wednesday night and estimated 50,000
Sandhills on the refuge lakes and nearby Bull’s Lake.  We searched through at
least 30,000 of those with no Common Crane found.   Other birds of interest
found was a Sage Thrasher, Long-billed Thrasher, Spotted Towhees, a pair of
Great Horned Owls, Roadrunner, Ladder-backed Woodpecker, House Finch, Red-wing
Blackbirds, Brewer’s Blackbird and Northern Harriers.  Plenty of Kestrels and
Red Tails.  Most unusual thing was a Bull snake sunning on a trail in 25 degree
weather!  It would have made a nice unexpected meal for the two Great Horned
Owls we had found that were just on the other side of the path!!  BTW we looked
for a nest for the owls but didn’t find one.  Muleshoe is opened 24 hours a
day.  It’s between Lubbock and Amarillo.  On the drive home we visited Buddy
Holly in the Lubbock cemetery which was not very birdy unless you like doves
but we could see why Anthony “Fat Tony” Heweston likes to bird it.  I think we
just hit the wrong time of year.
Sue YOST ~^/^~
Highland Village
Denton CountyEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at