[texbirds] Common Crane update

  • From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:40:03 -0600

Hello all,
A little after 6:00 PM, in rapidly fading light, I relocated one of the
Common Cranes with thousands of Sandhills on a private playa lake between
the refuge boundary and CR 1272, south of White Lake and west of Hwy. 214.
The unfortunate news is that if the cranes continue to frequent this
location, they will not be viewable from any public right-of-ways. I stayed
until well after dark and noted that a portion of the flock headed to
Paul's Lake to roost while a bulk(?) of the flock decided to roost on the
playa (a first for me, if they indeed stay there through the night).  I
apologize for not getting the word out earlier.

Also of note for yesterday, 25 November, were the continuing Pectoral and
Baird's Sandpipers at Paul's Lake on the mud flats just off of the levee.
And, just as a reminder, the levee road has been closed since early
November to minimize disturbance to the cranes.  With a decent scope, a
majority of the waterfowl and shorebirds can be observed from the
observation platform or bluff adjacent.

Good chasing,
Justin
currently at Muleshoe NWR