[texbirds] Common Crane YES!!!!!

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 10:06:29 -0600

All,

In a last ditch effort to see the Common Crane. We spent last night in
Littlefield and came out to search this morning with Harry Forbes in tow. At
about 9:30 the cranes finally settled down in a field west of CR 75 and south
of CR 282. I can't even guess how many cranes there were but using the truck as
a blind we starting scoping. I found the Common Crane after about 20 minutes.
The black and white on the head was so obvious I am now sure I didn't overlook
it in past searches. We all got to see it walk around, preen and eventually fly
off. What a great way to start the year! We are now headed south to avoid an
impending ice storm.

Sue

Susan Heath
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory