[texbirds] Comanche and Brown County scoters

  • From: Blaine Carnes <blainehcarnes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:55:43 -0500

Yesterday while in the process of birding several central Texas counties,
Greg Cook and I found a White-winged Scoter at Procter Lake in Comanche
County and a Surf Scoter at Lake Brownwood in Brown County.
The White-winged Scoter at Proctor Lake was visible from Sowell Creek Park
on the lake's east side. The bird was associating with a small group of
shovelers, and they moved up the northern arm of the lake as we watched. If
the bird is still on the lake, the best bet for refinding it might be from
Promontory Park between the two arms.

The Surf Scoter at Lake Brownwood was visible from the state park at the
overlook by Oak Lodge. It was about a half-mile across the lake on the back
side of the small island there with a group of Lesser Scaup.

--Blaine Carnes
Coppell