[texbirds] Colorado R. Refuge, Bastrop Co. Ash-throated, Tree Swallow, 3 Kingfisher spc.s.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, roger freeman <carrotguy55@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 11:44:19 -0600

.
 What a morning!....I went into Bastrop for water and had no intention of
birding but checked out the Walmart martin houses for scouts (none) then
somehow ended up birding parts of Tahitian Village , then the golf course
and refuge anyway.....I only had my crappy truck bins and owl tape. Maps
are online for the refuge...It is very big. *http://tinyurl.com/k9dval4
<http://tinyurl.com/k9dval4>*
It is such a gorgeous day for once.
  I did much of the eastern refuge  and some back streets of Tahitian
Village but only walked about 100 yds west of the railroad by the river so
left a lot of refuge uncovered....(I was worried about my unlocked truck
way back there and was wearing only Crocs.) ....... Highlights.

Canvasbacks 2
Bald Eagle 1
4 species of shorebirds
all three Bastrop Co. Kingfishers....That is darn near a first for me.
Sapsucker, not seen well but very interesting... maybe a Red-naped or
hybrid
Ash-throated Flycatcher 1 briefly in mesquite
Tree Swallow 1 (perhaps 2 more with it) golf course
Cave Swallows 20+ golf course
Winter Wren 1 (HO)
G. Catbird 1 thick grape on Riverside Dr.
E. Towhee 1
Swamp Sparrow 2

If I wrote down everything I had 58 species.  Yesterday evening I had the
continuing Couch's Kingbird here in the neighborhood.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/