[texbirds] Collared Plover still there

  • From: Dodge Engleman <dodgebirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 16:59:32 -0500

Lorna and I went to Hargill (a few miles north of Edinburg on 281 and a few
miles east on Farm Rd. 490) on Friday afternoon and searched for the
Collared Plover from 6:30 through 8:00 PM with no luck. There were plenty
of other good birds but,alas, no Collared Plover. And there were four
other birders there searching for it and awaiting its appearance!
This morning, Saturday, we arrived at the spot at 7:30 and again no luck
until it suddenly appeared on the 1st Street (north) side of the playa
between the little dunes at 8:05 AM and entertained us (and four others) for
half an hour before again disappearing at which time we decided to return
home. It mainly ran around on the sand rarely getting no closer to the
water than 15 feet and mainly was on the sand between the little dunes
formed by wind blown sand collecting at the base of clumps of grass.

I think part of the reason it was harder to find in the afternoon was that
the wind was much stronger then which made scope usage more difficult and
perhaps was a deterrent to its concerns.

For instructions finding the spot I refer you to Rex Stanford's great not of
July 28 on TWEXBirds which we found to be a great help:
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 15:35:23 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] COLLARED PLOVER at Hargill today (07/28/15)
From: Rex Stanford <calidris.bairdii@xxxxxxxxx>

Dodge Engleman