[texbirds] Collared Plover - flushed; plus WARNING cotton field spraying (8/4?)

  • From: "Mary Gustafson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "live4birds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 14:08:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all

Passing on info -

Shortly after 12 noon a Peregrine  Falcon blew through the playa and flushed
all the shorebirds, the Collared Plover has not been seen since.

A farmer relayed to a local birder that the cotton field immediately adjacent
to the playa is set to be sprayed before harvest as early as TOMORROW MORNING.
No one will be allowed near the viewing  spot - the ONLY viewing spot - during
the spraying.  Spraying requires light winds, no rain in the forecast,  and
other specific conditions.  Be advised that access to the only viewing spot may
not be possible tomorrow morning!  In theory the spraying should not take long
but I have no idea how long the area will be closed after the spraying is
completed.

I have no way to obtain more information on the treatment.   If you go tomorrow
and they are spraying please be patient.

Mary

Mary Gustafson
Mission, Texas