[texbirds] Collared Plover directions

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "antshrike1@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 20:11:03 -0400 (EDT)

I guess not everyone knows where the Hargill playas are so I should give some
directions.  Take US 281 north of Edinburg and go east on FM 490 or take FM 88
north of Weslaco about 20 miles and go west on FM 490.  The Collared Plover was
on the playa on 1st and Lincoln on the east side of Hargill.  Take Lincoln
north to 1st and turn right on the dirt track.  The pond is on your right.

With rain in the area and all of the birders present, this dirt track could
become a muddy mess.  It might be better to park on paved Lincoln or the paved
part of 1st and walk a little bit.  You really need a scope.  Also watch for
Baird's Sandpipers, Snowy Plover and a white morph Reddish Egret.

Dan Jones, Weslaco