[texbirds] Collared Plover - Aug 8 YES

  • From: "Tom Morris" <tmorris44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 14:08:16 -0500

Did not have access to TexBirds yesterday until now.  The plover was seen
from the morning (based on others present) till 7 pm when I left the bird in
view by about 8 other birders.   Two birders from South Carolina had the
plover in sight at 5:45 pm when I arrived.  A strong thunderstorm had just
passed over.  The temperature was 79 F after being over 100 earlier in the
day.  Lighting was very good with enough cloud cover and wind to make the
viewing pleasant.  The road was sandy and had drained very well.  There was
no mud or mudholes to contend with.  Mosquitos were bad.

The plover was quite active chasing a snowy and Wilson's plover away when
they appeared on the north (nearside) shore.  It preferred to stay in some
short vegetation and preen when not chasing other plovers.  It did not go to
the water's edge during about an hour's observation.  I first left the bird
about 6:30 pm and was the last viewer.  By the time I got to my car, another
vehicle arrived with 4 birders who had not seen the bird.  I decided to show
it to them since it had stayed in the same area (north side of the playa).
As luck would have it, it was no longer there.  Other birders showed up and
the bird was spotted across the playa on the south side among taller
vegetation and was not visible to all unless you moved to get the right
angle of view.  It was stationary at this time.  Everyone that showed up at
7 pm were able to see the bird even though it was quite a distance away
(with scopes).

Tom Morris

Lake Jackson