[texbirds] Collared Plover 08 08 2014 2pm

  • From: Terry Fuller <terrywfuller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 07:47:03 -0500

The Collared Plover was nicely visible on the near side of the lake.  I
will expand on some details of the area to aid visitors in finding the bird
particularly if there are not others there when you arrive (unlikely this
weekend :))
We parked on Lincoln and walked down First.  First street is a dirt road on
the north side of the shallow pool that the bird has been seen in.  This
water is on google maps of the area.  The south side is the lake area and
the north side of the road is field initially then a cotton field.  Walk
down to about the edge of the cotton field to the north side or slightly
further for a good vantage point.    The edge has a rise that makes a good
scoping point to see the bird from.

The lake is on the south side of first street.  It can be seen from Lincoln
but where the bird is when we were there one could not have seen it from
Lincoln.

The bird was on the north east side of the lake on the near shore

Initially it was sitting about a couple feet from the water and was hard to
locate.  We had seen it from a distance but then lost it when it sat.

Snowy Plover and chick still there.

--
Terry W Fuller
San Benito/Harlingen