[texbirds] Collared Plover

  • From: Dennis Shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 06:12:44 -0500

Howdy Texbirders,
Hope this link works: https://www.flickr.com/photos/olddawgler/14648257890/
This photo show the bird sitting and give one an idea of the cryptic nature
of the bird.
When I first got to the Playa (4:30 pm) the cadre of birders present
indicated that the target bird had not been seen since mid-morning.  I set
up my scope at a distance away from the group and started to scan.  While
doing a quick scan I saw a bird that I wrote off as a Killdeer. On
successive scans of the same are no Killdeer (there were a couple on the
far side of the playa).  After about an hour of no plovers, I noticed a
Snowy Plover moving in an open area near vegetation directly in front of
me.  It's as if  the bird popped out of the ground.  I watched the bird and
after a bit of running around it settled down in a place directly behind a
small bit of vegetation and out of the wind.  It set still for more than 30
minutes then moved about, and then settled again.  I eventually found
another Snowy and then it too, settled in an area out of my field of view
behind vegetation.
Eventually, I discovered that the group of birders had found the target
bird.  A Ms. Wade (one of the group) was kind enough to direct me to the
location of the Collared Plover.  Her directions to me were a bit off so I
looked through her scope and cha-ching there was the Collared Plover  I
then scanned around with my scope and after some difficulty found the bird.
 People commented that they never saw the Collared Plover fly in.  I don't
think it did.  My guess is that it was probably there the whole time.  The
"kildeer" looking bird I had seen earlier was in the exact area as the now
present Collared Plover.  I propose that as the day cooled the plovers
became more active.  But, the birds are quick enough that they could have
flown in as all the birders were scanning the lake or chatting.
So, my suggestion is to be sure to scan the clumps of vegetation on the
near shore.  I have often observed along the coast that Plovers love to sit
quietly on the leeward side of vegetation to avoid the wind.  And, don't
quickly pass over any of the birds out there.  Seems like I would have
learned by now!
Thanks to Dan, Mary and all the wonderful birders out there.  I sure hope
all of you get a chance to see this nifty bird.
--
W. Dennis Shepler