[texbirds] Colima Warbler still singing

  • From: "Imre Karafiath" <kossuth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 09:15:23 -0500

I hiked from the basin to the vicinity of Boot Spring each day from 7 to 11
July 2013. One Colima warbler was singing each day along the final set of
switchbacks just below the pinnacles.  On 9 July I could clearly hear the
bird but was not able to see him.  On 11 July leaving the pinnacles I found
a singing Colima at 6 PM somewhat further down the trail at the very
beginning of the final set of switchbacks. Does anyone know how many Colima
warbler territories there are along this section of the trail?  Other
birds - on 7 July I saw a pair of birds that may have been the flame-colored
/ western tanager pair but they moved on before I could be certain. On 11
July I had stunning views of two zone tailed hawks on the boot canyon trail
between the northeast rim trail junction and the south rim.
Imre Karafiath
Denton