[texbirds] Clay colored thrush in Eldorado

  • From: Stephen B Wellborn <sbwelborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 06:51:18 -0700 (PDT)

I was in San Angelo when Jay found the clay colored thrush.  I headed down to
Eldorado the next day after work.  I heard and saw the bird a few houses east
of his initial sighting.
His directions were solid.  It's a little neighborhood that looks perfect for
thrushes.  Lots of huge trees and covered with canopy.  It's only about 3
blocks long and 3 blocks wide.  I just walked around the neighborhood.  I guess
I was lucky, but it was easy to relocate the bird.
I understand some birders in the area have dipped.  There is softball field
just south of neighborhood that might have it.  Or hope that somebody in
neighborhood runs their sprinkler and wait for thrush.
Schleicher is pretty good county for birding, it's a crossroads of several
ecosystems.  I found a zone-tailed hawk there in April.
Steve Welborn