[texbirds] Christmas Bird Count at Aransas NWR on Wednesday December 19

  • From: David True <davidttrue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 12:43:07 -0500

12/15/2012
Sorry for the late notice but I'm trying to contact people that we haven't
heard from yet who may be interested in joining our Aransas NWR CBC.  We are
having Christmas Bird Count #113 on Wednesday, December 19, 2013 at the Aransas
National Wildlife Refuge.  This is one of the largest citizen science programs
that occurs in the United States.  CBC's are now found throughout the world.
They also provide scientists and naturalists a generalized idea of bird
populations in our country such as increasing or decreasing trends, bird
phenology and bird movements to new locations.  We have been doing a bird count
at Aransas NWR since 1968 and have recorded a multitude of species each year.
Aransas generally ranks among the top Christmas Bird Counts by bird species in
the nation each year, normally in the top 100.  We would love to have you come
out to the refuge for this special day.  We have a number of sections that will
be in need for observers, both experienced and novice.  In addition, we now
have our 40' tower operational and also have completed the Heron Flats Trail
Observation Deck which should improve our birding numbers.
If you are interested please contact me by email (david_true@xxxxxxx) or call
and leave a message at 361-286-3559 (ext: 232).  Although we would love to have
expert birders, anyone that has an interest in nature should come and enjoy
this special event.  We will meet at the Visitor Center at Aransas NWR at 6:00
am on December 19; however, we would really like you to contact me first so
that I can put you on a schedule that day.   Most of the time we bird the
morning and are done just after 12:00 pm, although you can stay out later if
you would like. (some areas may require longer birding)  We will give you more
information for those who would like to join us!
We will have some small things to eat for breakfast as well as going over
assignments but instead of packing a lunch, we will bring lunch to the visitor
center and meet around 1:30 pm.  Then we can eat something good and talk about
some of our sightings at the visitor center auditorium!  And remember, this is
a free event this year!
Hope to hear from you!
David TruePark Ranger Aransas National Wildlife Refuge 1 Wildlife Circle
Austwell, TX 77950361-286-3559 ext. 232david_true@xxxxxxx
davidttrue@xxxxxxxxxxx