[texbirds] Christmas Bird Count Invitations

  • From: Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 12:41:53 -0500

I enjoyed Martha Hoods's invitation to Armand Bayou "Come for the birds, come
for the fun, but just come!".  That was great!

I also saw all of the other CBC posts.  I thought I better my invitations out
before everybody makes plan.

All Texas CBCs need your help.  Attend as many as you can, and help show the
rich diversity locally and througout our State.

Matagorda County - Mad Island Marsh.  Monday 16 December.  We were fortunate to
be Number One in the Nation again last year with 232 species.  We have access
to a large part of the count circles private property and we need birders to
cover expansive woodlands, brushlands, grasslands and wetlands.  Contact any
one of the section leaders for assignments if you have attended in the past,
and contact me if you are new to the count.  This year's T-shirt which will be
provided to all birders will be a Magnificent Frigatebird as drawn by Dennis
Shepler.

Guadalupe River Delta - McFaddin Family Ranches.  Thursday 19 December.  We had
bad weather last year and only reported 222 species which placed us 4th in the
Nation.  Three more species and we would have been 2nd.  The Count primarily
surveys forested river bottoms on private property and has enough grasslands,
marshes, and brushlands to give us a very diverse report.  Participation has
been declining in recent years and we have some large ranches which are only
lightly birded.  If you have birded the count before, contact your section
leader, and if not contact me.

Kenedy County Wind Turbines will hopefully be held during the first week of
January.  It also had a bad weather day last year and only fielded one crew
during a very windy, wet day.  This is a special count designed to survey the
wind tidal flats of the Laguna Madre and the extensive grasslands behind the
dunes at Padre Island National Seashore.  Birders travel 25 miles by boat down
the Laguna and 18 miles by car across soft sand to get to the edge of the count
circle.  Since the count is very dependent on transportation, I will not know
until close to the date if we will be able to do it.  Let me know if you are
interested.

Come join us in South Texas

Brent Ortego

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department