[texbirds] Cherokee county BBS route June 3

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 12:26:50 -0500

Yesterday, I did my BBS route in Cherokee county, NE Texas, running roughly
north to south, west of Jackonville and south of Tyler. Species variety was
the best I have had in six years of running the route (52 species, with the
previous 5-year average of 47.6 species), although the number of individual
birds was the lowest I have had (511, with previous average of 583).
Brown-headed Nuthatch and Yellow-throated Warbler were new species for me
on this route.
Yellow-billed Cuckoos were more common than usual (12, previous 5-year
average 5.2), as were Red-bellied Woodpeckers (16, 5-year average 8.6), and
no surprise, Eurasian Collared Doves (8, 5-year average, 2.2). I only had 1
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (5-year average 8.2), and of the 9 breeding
warblers that I have had over 6 years, only 3 were found (1 Swainson's, 1
Yellow-throated and 23 Pine).

Peter Barnes
Tyler