[texbirds] Charlie's Pasture in Port Aransas

  • From: Mikael Behrens <mikaelb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:01:13 -0600

Howdy,
This morning I walked 2.5 miles of trail and boardwalk of the Charlie's Pasture
Nature Preserve in Port Aransas. I make an effort to bird the trails and
boardwalk of this preserve whenever I'm in town because I think it's important
to document the importance of this area to the birds. In particular, I think
not many birders count the ducks and plovers here. In late November there is an
amazing spectacle of duck movement every morning as thousands of ducks fly from
the lagoon over to the island. Sometimes I can pan my binoculars and count over
a thousand ducks in the sky.

The mud flats out there are utilized by Snowy and Piping Plovers as well --
species not doing so well these days. It is difficult to count these species on
this preserve since the mud flats they use are not near the trails and require
long scope views. This morning when I finally arrived at a viewpoint for the
distant mudflats, I was only able to locate one Snowy Plover. But I estimated
670 shorebirds that were just too far away to identify, even through my
spotting scope.

Here's a link to my species list on eBird:

And the last few photos in this photo set are from Charlie's Pasture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikael_behrens/sets/72157632067171709/

Mikael Behrens
Port Aransas (for Thanksgiving)
Nueces County