[texbirds] Charlie's Pasture South, May 4 2013

  • From: Mikael Behrens <mikaelb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 20:55:59 -0500

Howdy,

On Saturday, May 4 I spent a couple hours walking the mile-long trail through
the new southern section of the Charlie's Pasture Nature Preserve in Port
Aransas. Surprisingly even though there were many birders in town, I was the
only one on the trail. I think it's an under-birded new trail, and I think it
has some important birds and mud flats habitat to monitor. I found Snowy,
Piping, Wilson's, and Semipalmated plovers. The most numerous sandpipers were
Semipalmated and Stilt. Some of the sandpipers and plovers allow close
approaches from the trail, offering a great opportunities to compare these
confusing species. Even so, a spotting scope is required for recording complete
lists. Here's my species list:

Mikael Behrens
Port Aransas
Nueces County