[texbirds] Re: Cerulean? HELPFUL

  • From: Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:31:08 -0500

I can vouch for Clay's willingness to help. Over the past year he has
been extraordinarily helpful, and never condescending. There are three
or four others as well. So for the beginning birders like myself hang
in there on this listserv, but DO NOT put up with the rude egotistical
elitists ...call them out on their poor lack of manners. And lastly
post those bird links! That is how I got started with birding (and
continue) by taking the picture and then looking it up. If I still
couldn't be sure I would post a link and ask for help. It works.

Monte Phillips TX CTY

https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips

Texas Bird Pics -
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Texas-Bird-Pics/1583729505213063
Listserv yxbirds-pics - //www.freelists.org/archive/txbirds-pics/

On 4/16/2015 8:18 AM, Clay Taylor wrote:

All -

I am always more than happy to help out with an ID problem (I did not see
Monte's post until it had already been answered) whether online or
face-to-face. Over the years I have received similar help from more
experienced birders, and it is good to play it forward.

If you scroll back through the archives here in TexBirds, you will see that
my answers to ID questions will ALWAYS come with an explanation of the field
marks / behaviors that are relevant to the ID problem - the Teachable Moment.
It irks me to no end to see someone simply reply "it's a *****", with no
explanation of WHY it's a ****, or how the questioner can use that
information to make the correct call the next time. That onus is on the
respondent, not the questioner.

As for Monte's initial question, I can definitely see where he thought
Cerulean Warbler, especially the back-shot - the wings and tail had a
decided blue cast, the bright white wingbars, and appearance of whitish sides
all point to Cerulean Warbler. The bill was the stumbling block, and the
next image from the front showed the "dirty" breast and Empidonax shape and
posture. Game Over.

What eventually irks me, though, is the Serial ID Requester (usually a
beginner) that simply throws up multiple images for others to identify, yet
they obviously are not interested in learning themselves. I place that in
the same category as a 2-year-old constantly saying "Mommy, mommy, mommy..."
simply to get noticed.

Proof? A week or two later they post another image of the same species,
asking "what is it?". I will give them the benefit of the doubt if they
say "I think this might be a ****, but I am not sure. What is it?" The
questioner has made an effort, and that gives us responders the opportunity
to respond with the Teachable Moment, and the questioner to hopefully have a
Learning Moment. Monte did exactly that, and if he encounters a similar
puzzle in the future, hopefully he can arrive at the correct conclusion based
on his experience with the Cerulean Flycatcher. ;-)

Good birding,

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi), TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Clayton Leopold <passerinaciris12@xxxxxxxxx>
To: sueorwig@xxxxxxxxx
CC: Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm not a professional but a lot of people get upset when new/non
birders post really bad identifications. No offense but the acadain to
cerulean was pretty bad. But hey we all have to start somewhere, and I
have made terrible calls in my short birding career. Don't let the mean
and pushy birders ruin a fun hobby. Like I said you can always email me
for any help.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Susan Orwig <sueorwig@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sueorwig@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

No, not a Cerulean. Probably Acadian FC.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EPQieP25mJM/VS2QkHcWFhI/AAAAAAAAGAM/yjIO00wLwX4/s800/IMG_1511.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7UNouCSZhnc/VS2QkLG1raI/AAAAAAAAGAQ/2vWEX9XRVgQ/s800/IMG_1512.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FVaZhZWg6eU/VS2Qsj56VZI/AAAAAAAAGAg/518GRymCgpc/s800/IMG_1504.jpg

> --
> Monte Texas City
> https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips
> “You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they
could and
> should do for themselves.”
> by Abraham Lincoln

> Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission

Monte
https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips
"Only when the last tree has been cut down; Only when the last river has been
poisoned; Only when the last fish has been caught; Only then will you find that
money cannot be eaten." - Chief Joseph