[texbirds] Century Day? and Port A/ CC 4/15 report

  • From: Randy Duncan <osufight@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:23:18 -0700 (PDT)

   Seems I read somewhere a while back that a 100 species day was a goal that
less than 1% of borders ever achieve... or maybe I dreamed up this stat on my
own???We got 102 yesterday on our PA/CC loop. My daughters first century day!
(Hoping this doesn't start a firestorm on the evils of traveling and listing
birds!!! - I will drive to the coast for migration and I will list.)
 Left Leander at 4am... back home at 9pm, 8 hrs of driving in between...5 tired
happy birders at the end. No specific chasing birds, no beach, just our
favorite places.

Highlights--
Paradise pond... a single Yellow Warbler, 3 Rose breasted Grosbeaks. Lots of
Indigos and a few Painted Buntings.
Turnbull.... Single gorgeous Male Blackburnian. Summer Tanagers
Hans Suter... Black Skimmers, Worm Eating Warbler (lifer two weeks ago now
reduced to maybe the 6th best bird of the day!)
Blucher.... a Early season Canada Warbler. Swainsons Warbler (my first since 3
years ago when I walked by a bunch of people around what I thought was a
Bewicks wren, when a great birder told me "It's a Swainsons Warbler, one of the
hardest to find"!). FOS Chuck's will widow.

Interestingly no Hooded W or N Parula all day... were everywhere three weeks
ago!

Randy Duncan  Leander, TX