[texbirds] Central Texas Coast back bays full of frigatebirds (and more)

  • From: Petra Hockey <phockey@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 17:05:48 -0500

Texbirders:
The last time I saw this many frigatebirds hoover over me and hanging in the
air in every direction I looked I was in the Galapagos.

This morning, however, a similar spectacle happened right close to home, in the
back bays of Port O'Connor.  Shortly after sunrise over 50 of all ages and
sexes were chasing terns and gulls feeding on ribbonfish that were brought to
the surface by skipjack and gafftopsail catfish. It was a true feeding frenzy.
Unfortunately, hardly any terns or gulls escaped with their catch, a pity for
the young terns still patiently awaiting their parents' return.

At Pass Cavallo sargassum is coming close to shore in big mats and tens of
thousands of Black Terns in dense flocks are feeding over it. The terns are
moving south along the barrier islands, feeding along the way. This, too,
attracts many frigatebirds. I saw well over 100 today.

Shorebird migration is cranking up with 16 species of shorebirds seen this
morning. Among the new arrivals were Semipalmated Plover, Western and Least
Sandpiper, American Avocet, Greater Yellowlegs and many Long-billed Curlews.

Spun the hub on the prop but repairs are underway, so we will go out again
tomorrow and hopefully check the big jetties and wells in Espiritu Santo Bay
for the MIA Brown Booby.

Petra Hockey
Port O'Connor, Calhoun Co.