[texbirds] Central Austin birds (Travis County)

  • From: Kenny Anderson <kennya290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 19:25:28 -0500

I birded the West Bouldin Greenbelt and the area along the Lower Colorado
River below Longhorn Dam today.  It turned out to be an impressive list of
warblers, totaling 15 species for the day.  A flock of birds along the
river held a returning BLACKPOLL WARBLER just downstream from where it was
located last year.  The same flock held a first fall Magnolia Warbler (very
hard fall bird in Austin), a first fall Blackburnian, an adult male
American Redstart.  The highlight at West Bouldin was a male Hooded Warbler
and a female Canada.
I was relieved to finally add an Ovenbird to my Travis County year.
 Strangely this fairly easy to find warbler has eluded me up until today.
I wouldn't want to give the impression that the woodlots were crawling with
birds, I had to pull them out by circling back often, re-locating the
flocks and picking through it, spending a lot of time when birds were less
active.

Kenny Anderson
Austin