[texbirds] Cedar Hill Park 12/29 and JJ Meyes Trace 12/30/12

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:18:56 -0500 (EST)

Yesterday (12/29/12) Jan and I spent about 3 hrs at Cedar Hill Park on Lake
 Charlotte in Chambers Co. There were quite a few nice birds but the
highlights  were Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Pileated Woodpeckers, Red-breasted
Nuthatches  and last but not least a bunch of Red-headed Woodpeckers with 2-3
being  juveniles. I don't think I have ever seen that many Red-headed
Woodpeckers in  one day. We had fun attempting to photograph the Pileated
Woodpeckers as  well.

Today (12/30/12) we spent about 2 and a half hours in JJ Meyes Trace part
of the Corp of Engineers Wallisville Project in Chambers Co. The highlights
there were a couple of Song Sparrows mixed with a bunch of Savannah
Sparrows and a beautiful American Kestrel that was nice and let us photograph
it
which is rare. Other than that there were a lot of Forster's Terns, both
Cormorant species and Brown Pelicans on the Trinity River.

Photos below and includes the male Rufous Hummingbird and Ruby-throated
Hummingbird that have been here at our house as well as pictures from the last
 two days.

_http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBN
QB#!i=2294702885&k=2VgnX59_
(http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBNQB#!i=2294702885&k=2VgnX59)