[texbirds] Cave Swallow and other Utley ramblings

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 12:34:54 -0600

.
Did my walkabout after that bitter winter spell this morning...Odd it is
that yesterday there were easily 200 odd birds at the feeders and on this
sunny warm morning all is back to the same few dozen...Ingrates.  Forgot it
was Saturday so more traffic than I like.
  Had another flock of Cave Swallows twittering high over head and were it
not for their squeaks and twitters, I would not have know they were up
there...How do they get by?   I am very curious as to if they are migrants
or overwintering birds.

  Saw the now "local" pair of Bald Eagles and found a dead cardinal over a
bird bath...Feathers in the bushes below the overhead tree suggest Screech
Owl people a work  They have been calling a lot in the yard lately at night.

  A flock of Cedar Waxwings were just down the road....Am hoping they come
and wipe out the yopaun berry crop and haul those seeds elsewhere.  A
couple of Pileated Woodpeckers etc. but otherwise nothing of note.

 Wanted to check on the baby Great Horned Owls but the gate was locked.

  Two Red Admiral butterfly happy to have it warm again...Man nothing kills
those off.

  A few days early but also found my first Bluet of the spring...Tiny
little blue flower amid some ground moss.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas