[texbirds] Catching up on some Hockley County highlights

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 17:30:35 -0500

Greetings All:
This pas Sunday (13 July 2014) I moseyed out to Hockley County to see what
impact recent heavy rains had had on one of my favorite routes.

There were no Lubbock County highlights on the way out to Levelland and the
only Hockley County highlight was a Great Egret just east of Levelland.

The trek along Ellis Road from Highway 385 to Highway 168 was, as expected,
interesting.  In fact a big stretch of the road was underwater - and I had
to take a three mile detour around the soggy patch to cover the road
thoroughly!

Ellis Road highlights included 1 Great Egret, 4 Snowy Egrets, 11 Cattle
Egrets, 1 Yellow-crowned Night Heron, 1 White-faced Ibis (I also had 1
Great Blue Heron, 2 Green Herons, and 6 Black-crowned Night Herons - not
particularly noteworthy but I made a clean sweep of the region's
heron/egret clan), 14 Black-necked Stilts, 4 American Avocets, 2 Upland
Sandpipers, 7 Long-billed Curlews, and 1 male Yellow-headed Blackbird.  A
surprising number of these birds were NOT at the Smyer Playa but rather at
one of two shallow-water playas in prairie dog towns.

The sole highlight from Lubbock County on the way back: 2 Snowy Egrets at
Maxey Park.

It is nice to see so much water back in the region; I hope it lasts through
shorebird season.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock