[texbirds] Cassin's Sparrows At Attwater PC NWR

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 13:19:30 -0700 (PDT)

TexBirders,
Took yesterday off and had a great day of inland birding in Wharton, Colorado
and Austin counties.  Had 16 warbler species including Cerulean at two spots,
Worm-eating, Mourning and Golden-winged, 6 vireo species with Blue-headed being
the most unexpected and Olive-sided, Willow, Alder and Acadian Flyatchers.
Every stop had warblers even before the front passed.  One of the spots I
checked for migrants was the headquarters area at Attwater Prairie Chicken NWR.

On my way to and from the headquarters, I had 3 different singing Cassin's
Sparrows.  This is not too great a surprise given the easterly push of this
species in recent years and the suitable habitat.  But, it was the first time I
had heard them there.

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson