[texbirds] Re: Cassin's Finch in TX - CALL

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mitch <mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 20:01:32 -0600

Mitch et al...In late 1995 in Ft. Davis, Petra Hockey and I (likely Kelly
and others too) had all 3 Haemorhous (formerly Carpodacus ) finches.  The
Purples, 2-3, were maybe of the western race (?) but at that time I was
ignorant of the subspecies.  Those birds (PUFIs) were in cottonwoods on
Limpia Creek near where the Black Hawks nested. We had them elsewhere in
the state.  Cassin's were right in town with the distinct calls which has
faded in my head.... In addition to the above 3 finches we racked up
Evening Grosbeaks, along with the Goldfinches and Siskins.   It was a
pretty good visit then.  It will be very hard to repeat in 2-3 days in one
area....I'm pretty sure I/we will not be doing that again.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/