[texbirds] Canyon Lake (comal county) birding morning

  • From: "Ed Hickl" <ehickl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:44:07 -0500

I started out fishing this morning but not much luck there so I put down my
fishing rods and grabbed my bins and camera to get:
Several Common Loons - one feeding on fish he brought to surface- near big
island on south side of the lake.  The fish was too big to swallow in one
gulp and showed interesting behavior to the process.

At the back of the cove next to  Comal park there were several coots, pied
billed grebe, a pair of ruddy ducks, and two pair of buffleheads.  Wonder if
they were the ones I saw last year.

Green wing teal and both species of vultures were spotted at Potters Creek
Park shore. I'll let the 3 birders walking on the shore call out the gulls
on the lakes edge.

Also had a chance to photo an Osprey that let me get close.  So all in all a
great day for me.

Ed Hickl

Houston and Canyon Lake, Texas