[texbirds] Canyon Lake Brown Booby - NO

  • From: "Lynn Thompson" <Lthompson54@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 12:24:37 -0500

I was out on the dam at Overlook Park from 9:15 until around 10:30 this
morning, with no luck. A dam walker told me a group of around 6 people had been
out since early morning, also with no luck. A ranger drove by and said that the
last time she had heard of the bird was a Saturday afternoon sighting. The lake
started to fill up with boats, so the bird may have moved on to quieter waters.

On the plus side, a woman who was with the ranger took photos of me and some
other folks with binoculars, looking out at the lake, to show people that there
are other things to do at Canyon Lake.

Other birds seen were a pair of roadrunners up by the Corp's office and a
Turkey Vulture standing on the rocky shore for some time, apparently enjoying
the watery spray. Vultures need baths, too!

Lynn Thompson
New Braunfels