[texbirds] Canoeing from Little Webberville to Big Webberville Park

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 19:18:43 -0600

Today, my dad and I canoed from Little Webberville Park to Big Webberville
Park in eastern Travis county.
The afternoon started well, and as we were dropping off a car at Big
Webberville, a pair of Greater Roadrunners were a nice surprise along the
entrance road.
On the river, the first bird of note was a Pileated Woodpecker about a mile
downstream from Little Webberville.
The bird that really took the cake was a beautiful male Green Kingfisher
about a mile upstream of Big Webberville Park, that allowed us to get
within 20 feet.
As we pulled up to the boat ramp at Big Webberville, I a Couch's Kingbird
chattering away for a little while, but I could never get a visual on him.
Also, we heard another Pileated Woodpecker across the river and maybe 100
yards upstream of the Big Webberville boat ramp.
This stretch of river is about 5 miles with no rapids (only a few small
rifles, but you can essentially float through them). I definitely plan on
floating this stretch again. Very birdy and beautiful.
Photos:
Green Kingfisher:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8442200519/in/photostream/
Pileated Woodpecker: