[texbirds] Cameron County Shorebirding (Near Harlingen) - Friday May 10th

  • From: Erik Breden <erik.breden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 23:19:24 -0500

TexBirders,

After Rex and Birgit Stanford's Shorebirding success yesterday in my
"backyard", I followed their footsteps for a few hours this afternoon
(Friday May 10th) and found many of the same birds in the same
places. I ended the day with 13 species of shorebird.

The plowed field to the East where Bass Boulevard turns West to go
around Adams Garden Reservoir still held birds, but apparently not as
many as yesterday:

Buff-breasted Sandpiper - 8 to 10 birds
Baird's Sandpiper - 3 to 4 birds
Least Sandpiper - 6+ birds
Spotted Sandpiper - 1 bird
Killdeer - 2
Bank and Barn Swallows - hundreds!
Cliff/Cave Swallows - 25+

The wet ditch along the road on the North side of the reservoir was
quite productive:

Least Sandpiper - 5 birds
Pectoral Sandpiper - 2 birds
Baird's Sandpiper - 2 birds
Lesser Yellowlegs - 2 birds
Solitary Sandpiper - 1 bird

The Weaver Road Sod Farm had a few birds:

Killdeer - 10+
Yellowlegs sp. - 10+

Finally, the resaca at the Southeast corner of the intersection of
Rangerville Road and Jimenez Road held the largest volume of birds:

Wilson's Phalarope - 100+
Least Sandpiper - 10+
Stilt Sandpiper - 2+
White-rumped Sandpiper - 1
Pectoral Sandpiper - 1+
Black-necked Stilt - 6+
Lesser Yellowlegs - 5+

Sadly, the La Feria Sod Farm has lost about half of its fields to crops.

Photos at:

www.otterside.com/spring2013

Enjoy!

Erik Breden