[texbirds] Cameron County Coastal Shorebirding - Monday May 13th

  • From: Erik Breden <erik.breden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 01:38:48 -0500

TexBirders,

On Monday May 13th Rex and Birgit Stanford and I went shorebirding in
coastal Cameron county. We birded Route 4 out to Boca Chica Beach,
the Boat launch on Route 48, and the Port Isabel Reservoir.

The highlight of the day was 8-10 Whimbrel and 10+ White-rumped
Sandpipers at the Port Isabel Reservoir. The poor lighting late in
the day at the reservoir and relatively great distance of the birds
was problematic for accurately identifying the Whimbrel, and we spent
considerable time trying to verify as many field marks as possible,
including vocalizations. We took pictures of the birds in the hopes
that they would reveal more detail than we could see. This proved to
be a good idea...and ultimately confirmed our ID.

Photos from our day out with the birds can be seen at:

www.otterside.com/spring2013

Enjoy!

Erik Breden
Harlingen, Texas