[texbirds] Re: Call for Bolivar protection/1300-1500 LETE flock

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 21:40:00 -0400 (EDT)

Winnie, great information, thanks. I stopped to talk (write) about the
problem with people multiplying so fast and taking over what left from the land
 available for other species. I just do not want to sound like I am against
 humanity and their right to reproduction. It seems that people have to
find out  the consequences by themselves in the near future. Too bad that so
much damage  will be done that is not repairable. If somebody think that
people can live like  ants in colonies, good luck. I won’t be around to see
it
but have imagination;  scary enough.

Predation is a problem but in my opinion (have some interesting
documentation) this is also tied with too many people coming to the beach and
leaving
too much trash attracting gulls, raccoons etc. Small colony of nesting
LETE wouldn’t support even a few predators (like raccoons) longer then few
days.

And ghosts crabs do not eat tern’s eggs or chicks. Study was done.
WOLCOTT and WOLCOTT “HIGH MORTALITY OF PIPING PLOVERS ON BEACHES WITH
ABUNDANT
GHOST CRABS: CORRELATION, NOT CAUSATION”.  BTW LETE eggs and chicks are  much
bigger.

You are also right that there is a lot of subjects that cannot be discuss
here for many reasons. Talk about LETE - I am a game. I will make time if I
have  none.

Perhaps no subject for a separate post but I take my hat off to people who
do all bird counts (and do it right). I just never have time to do that and
 count only sporadically, and only birds I need their count. Counting LETEs
might  be a fun for me but it is not easy. Bolivar Peninsula have several
places when  they stop during migration (Bolivar flats is just on of them).
Like here I had  about 1300-1500 (probably more but I always prefer lowest
number to be safe)  just in one flock - incredible sight, perhaps to me. On
this photo only a small  flock fraction is shown. Still about 170 fits inside
the frame (somebody wants  exact count - do it yourself; I got enough of
counting during last month or so)  plus a few plovers, sanderlings, dunlins
etc. So perhaps fun thing to  do - how many LETEs are there (in photo).

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149612590/original

Hard to keep posting without even one photo:)

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field

In a message dated 4/9/2013 5:29:18 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
wbburkett@xxxxxxx writes:
Mark you have once again touched on a lot of issues and it is difficult  if
not impossible to get into all of them here. From my point of view the
biggest problem Least Terns and all other birds have is too many people. More
and more people move to Houston every day and most want to go to the beach.
They need education and we as people who care about birds need to be part
of  that effort every day we are in the field.

I started working to protect Bolivar Flats Least Terns in 1992. Posting
the colony worked well and talking to beach goers and fishermen was very
satisfying. Then the raccoons and coyotes figured out what was going on and
reproductive success went down. Least Terns have lots of predator problems not
just mammals. Laughing Gulls and grackles get the eggs and chicks. I have
heard even ghost crabs eat them. Houston Audubon has an intern who will be
looking for nesting Least Terns,  protecting nesting locations and
educating the public. You could help with this effort by donating to their
Intern
Fund.

The years after Ike were actually very good for Least Terns as large  areas
on the peninsula were covered with sand (perfect for Least Tern nesting)
and predator numbers were knocked back by the storm surge. Grass has grown
and  predator population has increased things keep changing.

As a Bolivar Peninsula property owner and sanctuary manager for Houston
Audubon I have been very involved in hurricane recovery on the peninsula. Yes
there is money for a fishing pier in Gilchrist it comes from FEMA to
compensate for recreational opportunities lost due to Ike and cleanup. It will
be a great place for birding too, but each year that building is delayed the
money builds less.

I am on the board of a Bolivar Peninsula non-profit whose goal is
rebuilding the peninsula economy while protecting its natural resources.  You
see
the peninsula will rebuild wether we like it or not, that is  unless we can
find millions of dollars to buy up the land and  protect. Protecting the
natural resources is supported by many Bolivar  residents and businesses as
they
know that is why people come to the  peninsula.

I would be happy to sit down and talk to you about all these issues if  you
have the time. It is really too complicated for this forum.

Winnie  Burkett
Friendswood & the Bolivar  Peninsula