[texbirds] Calhoun Co. Townsend's Warbler etc.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 12:57:37 -0500

 I sampled some test spots and sunflower patches early this morning but
found little activity so I drove slow up to Seadtrift and birded the
highway and parts of town

N. Harrier 1
Wht-tailed Kite
Merlin 1
Sapsucker sp.. 1
Couch/Trocical Kingbirds 9
E. Kingbirds 4
Scissortails 110+
G. Catbirds 3
E. Bluebird 3
Various small passerines, mostly buntings etc. that I did not spend a lot
of time with
Yellow-headed Blackbird
a flock of about 16 Meadlowlarks that might have been my FoF coastal
Westerns (?)

  I ran into Rick Folkening down from Wichita Falls who was birding and
photo'ing.  He told me of seeing a huge kettle of hundreds of gulls, from
what I could see on the screen of his camera they appeared to be
Franklin's   I had told him that Port O'Connor was pretty dead this morning
and he could likely do better on the Delta, but when I returned to my
sample spots I was surprised to see quite an influx of migrants..Sorry
Rick......Mostly the usual stuff in low #s, Nashville, Wilson a few Mag.s
etc. but also my FOF coastal Pine Warbler and in the sunflowers mostly
heard only Mournings...Several Orange-crowneds, catbirds, chats etc. A N.
Parula in the oaks is the first I have seen since Sept. 27

  At 7th and Madison in the pines where the R.B. Nuthatch likes to hang out
there is a Townsend's Warbler, also my FOF.   There is a kingbird still
present in the same area that I think is the Tropical but it did not call.
When I left this morning there were very few hummers at the feeders 4+
hours later there are now loads

The air is very heavy and it is hot...I suspect a front is in the offing
and tomorrow might be a good one for migrants. But for today the town is
full of traffic and people due to a huge fishing tournament which makes the
birding a bit less enjoyable.....Lots of wade fisher people/boats/boat
trailers everywhere and the beach is slathered with mommies and kids that
have little else to do while daddy is out trying to win a prize.

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist