[texbirds] Cackling Goose at Carter Lake in College Station

  • From: Jesse Huth <chickenboy115@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 16:16:32 -0500

Discovered yesterday by a member of the local Audubon society, I went to
check it out yesterday evening and sure enough there it was.  A single
Cackling Goose, apparently molting, in with a group of Canada Geese.
The Canada Geese are apparently residents to the lake, possibly owned by
someone living there.  Currently not sure if this is a wild goose or a
new acquisition by the owner of the Canada Geese, but it doesn't appear
to be marked in any way (wings intact, no band, no visibly clipped toe).

According to other Audubon society members this is 3 months earlier than
any previous record for the area.

Here are some pictures I took:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/105630076@N07/sets/72157646817982211/

And the full ebird report:

It was still present this morning when I went back for more photos.

--
Jesse Huth
College Station, TX