[texbirds] Cabin in Utley, Birds May 6, 2013....Snakes and thrushes

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 21:21:55 -0500

*************************************************************************************************************
I remarkable day for me in my own yard...Saw the female Black Vulture go
into her hollow tree in the front yard.  Saw 4 species of snakes, Coral,
Coachwhip, Copperhead and Texas Rat snake. and a Gray Fox...I never left
the property except for about 15 minutes to take the garbage down the road
...Monday is trash day...I did not even go down to pick up mail.
Had 12 species of Warblers, the two expected Tanagers, a Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, 2 Mississippi Kites (low) and most importantly a singing
Gray-cheeked and Swainson's Thrush early this morning followed by an HO
VEERY and a Swainson's again very late this evening!!...If only a Wood
Thrush would show up!  And if that is not enough, a female R. B. Nuthatch
is still here!...What the heck?..it is May 6 for crying out loud.  Heard a
siskin early.

 An  E. W. Pewee, a Traill's Emid and a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher popped in
as well...I am lazy and let the critter cams do the heavy work a lot today
and as a result had my FOY yard Ovenbird, and saw briefly a Cerulean
Warbler when I turned on the sprinkler...at least a half dozen
Chestnut-sideds appeared from nowhere when that water started
spraying.........Here are 3 photos, thanks to the critter cams...(one is on
the blink which really irks me as I saw a lot of birds come to that water
today)....Now one image, the third I think, is a quiz bird for those trying
to learn, so you experts and old timers just zip it up for a bit and let it
be a learning exercise for those that still are trying to get a handle on
these "look a likes"...  :-)...Or contact me off line.
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/

  I was inside for several hours today (actually working if you can buy
that) but still managed to record 44 species on the property or above it,
including what was on the critter cams today on the property.   Oops...Make
that 45 species...I hear Uplands out there right now

  Critter cam captured an image of a  feral cat  with one of my Cardinals
very early this morning in fuzzy/grainy black and white.....Grrrrr.  I do
not know this cat at all.

Brush Freeman
361-655-7641 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/