[texbirds] CORRECTED Re: Panola County Birding Today - Warbler Hybrid

  • From: Linda Price <lprice@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 19:11:41 -0500

Many people have pointed out to me that this is a fresh Black-and-White Warbler.

Thanks for your responses.

I was basing my conclusions on the very warm colors of the bird and the very
yellow toes and bottom of the feet. In my binoculars, the bird seemed to have
very yellow feet.

BNA states of BWWA  that "Plumage entirely black and white with a distinct
pattern of black-and-white streaking throughout in both sexes and all age
classes; "
I guess this is not true. This is the youngest BWWA I've ever seen, but
searching the internet for photos does find a couple of birds with similar tan
color and pale feet. I didn't find a photo with very yellow toes, so maybe this
is a particularly young bird.

It was the bright yellow toes and bottom of the feet and very warm colors that
confused.

Thanks again, at least I learned something today.

Linda Gail
Longview, TX