[texbirds] CHANGE OF PLANS for Birder Patrol Trip Saturday! (COLLARED PLOVER)

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:05:28 -0500

Hi, all!

I don't see it posted on Texbirds yet, so you heard it here first, I guess
(unless you're on Facebook. J)! Pat Heirs found what we're assuming is the
same COLLARED PLOVER at Hargill Playa that showed up last year for Dan
Jones, so we're gonna hustle over there first thing Saturday (the 25th),
then probably check Sugarhouse Pond and the La Feria Nature Park for the
King Rail. Meeting places will remain the same (the Stripes in Combes at
6:30 for the Harlingen crowd, and the Flying J in Edinburg at 7:00 for the
McAllen/Edinburg folks). If you know where Hargill Playa is and want to go
straight there, we plan on showing up there around 7:30 or so, but please
read the information below first; otherwise please meet us at one of the two
aforementioned spots and we'll carpool:

Directions are as follows. From the LRGV, take US 281 north of Edinburg and
go east on FM 490 or take FM 88 north of Weslaco about 20 miles and go west
on FM 490 to the town of Hargill.

In Hargill take the easternmost street (Lincoln, may be unsigned) north to
1st. PLEASE remember the issues we had last year with people blocking roads.
If there are many cars (or it has rained recently) park near 1st and Lincoln
and walk the short distance east to the viewing area for the pond.

You will need a scope, and the heat of the day will have strong heat waves
that will make viewing difficult.M 490 to the town of Hargill.

In Hargill take the easternmost street (Lincoln, may be unsigned) north to
1st. PLEASE remember the issues we had last year with people blocking roads.
If there are many cars (or it has rained recently) park near 1st and Lincoln
and walk the short distance east to the viewing area for the pond.

You will need a scope, and the heat of the day will have strong heat waves
that will make viewing difficult.

Please keep in mind that the field trip will finish up around La Feria, if
you simply want to take your own vehicle. Fee is still $5.00 per person,
with all proceeds going to the educational endeavors of the Arroyo Colorado
Audubon Society.

See you there! MB

Mary Beth Stowe

McAllen, TX