[texbirds] Buntings

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:13:46 -0500

....All...I just read thru my email which which has been down much of the
evening due to incredible storms and rains in Port O'connor....More on that
later perhaps, after birding with some folks tomorrow.

..a few of you wrote concerning our bunting sightings today...OK, I
gotcha..... recall that Blue Grosbeak is now a Passerina ...Right there
with Painted and Indigo.  IE has no relations with Rose-breasted etc in the
US & Canada so we now have five regular Passerina buntings, all the others
claiming the bunting name are in completely different genera ....The term
bunting is a misnomer I guess...I mean we don't call Eastern and Western
Meadowlarks, Eastern and Western Blackbirds for example.
--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist