[texbirds] Re: Buff-breasted Sandpiper survey

  • From: mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 13:23:01 -0700

Hi all,

I just wanted to mention that when I lived in Portland 1985
I guess it was, I found fair numbers of Buff-breasted Sandpipers
in fall in what I thought were (likely was told) fallow potato fields.
These were along Hwy. 35 from Portland to Gregory and then east to
Aransas Pass the first few to several miles and on adjacent side
roads. These seemed after harvest and were mostly barren with
scattered potato plants. Sometimes single flocks of 200 plus were
found. Other times just dozens, but those fields had Buff-breasts
in good numbers.

And were otherwise so unremarkable I could hardly believe anyone
would give them a thought, much less a look. If I hadn't have
spotted birds in the air while driving 60mph I never would have
thought to look. I checked a bunch of fields in the area then,
a bunch of times, and Buffies were easy to find. There was only
one other animal I could find in the fields, without even looking,
and more of them than Buffies. Chiggers. At least they go away,
the birding memory doesn't.

I don't know if there are fields such as this still in existence,
or being looked at, so thought I'd mention it. Now is the time.

happy feathers,
Mitch

Mitch Heindel
Utopia