[texbirds] Buff-breasted Sandpiper Big Weekend

  • From: Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 13:07:18 -0500

The Big Weekend of surveying Buff-breasted did not turn out as good as I was
hoping.
We collectively counted 1400. Much lower than the 4600 that was counted each
of the two weeks before. Major rains dropping over 5 inches along the Coast a
couple of days before the survey dispersed birds.
The bulk of the birds for the weekend were on turf farms in Matagorda and
Wharton counties where Bob Friedrichs and I have been surveying. We had a
combined 1100.
Houston Audubon birders Joel Throckmorton and company reported 175 at Nome in
Southeast Texas. Ken Hartman had 20 in the Katy Prairie, Kelly McDowell 4 in
Calhoun County and Michael Marsden 50 in the Valley. Further Inland Alton
Patton had 50 in Burleson County, Brush Freeman 23 in Bastrop County and
Winston Caillouet 10 in Denton County.
Spent a couple of days after the weekend spot checking historically productive
fields and only found a few birds.
At noon, Trey Barron and I took a driving lunch break and drove to the Dacosta
turf farm just outside of Victoria and found 329 Buff-breasted. It was good to
see large numbers again.
Brent OrtegoVictoria, TX