[texbirds] Re: Buff-breasted Sandpiper

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rgibbo3@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 09:58:21 -0500

I agree with Richard's view. Several years ago Tom Langschied and I had a
single flock of several hundred at the edge of a flooded field on the
Laureles division of the King Ranch.
On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Richard Gibbons <rgibbo3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Brent. I wonder how much of this is sampling bias. Short grass
habitat is in short supply and they definitely are fond of turf farms, but
I've seen equally impressive numbers in wetland areas and plowed fields
along the Gulf coast. Turf farms are disproportionately sampled for
"grasspipers" and understandably so given the ease with which difficult to
find species are encountered at these locations. It would be interesting to
have a directed shorebird migration survey wherein observers sampled
working wetlands, ag lands, and natural habitats. Is that what is planned
for Buff-breasted Sandpipers?

Richard Gibbons
Houston, Texas

On Jul 24, 2015, at 8:53 AM, Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Saw my first Buff-breasted of the season on turf at Dacosta this morning.
This is a species that much is not known. Researchers from South
America, U.S. and Canada will be conducting research on this species in the
next couple of years to determine a population estimate.
I summarized Buff-breasted Sandpiper EBIRD data for Texas recently as
part of this work. 25% of the reports for this species are on turf and
they support 76% of the birds. EBIRD sites with highest numbers have been
in the Dallas area, and many places from College Station to the Coast. Most
will migrate through in August and September.
Brent OrtegoTexas Parks and Wildlife DepartmentVictoria, TX

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission

Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein