[texbirds] Brush Country Birding

  • From: Sean Paul Kelley <spkelley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 21:04:34 -0500

I'm in San Antonio with spending some time with my father.
Today I did a long Brush Country drive today--mostly in search of all the old
King's Highway Granite
Markers<http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/8563614172/in/photostream/>--but
also in the hopes of seeing some birds. I drove from San Antonio to Cotulla
on IH35. Then took 97 from Cotulla to Tilden. On that stretch I saw a
handful of Crested Caracaras, one beautiful hawk, pictured
here<http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/8562505129/in/photostream>,
which I presume is a Harris' hawk. It was too windy for anything else,
except for a small herd of
Zebras<http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/8563614556/in/photostream/>,
which is not something you see every day.

I then pulled into the Calliham Unit of the Choke Canyon State Park and
walked around a bit, the usual assortment, with a Bewick's Wren singing
loudly. I did hear a Green Jay but I had on shorts and couldn't hike of
into the dense brush there for fear of rattlesnakes--and I have had
unpleasant experiences with them nearby. I did see a Scaled Quail run
across the road on the way out of the park, but wasn't quick enough to get
a photo.

Nothing else much to report, as I said, it was just too windy. I might head
to Warbler Woods early tomorrow morning, but then again, I may sleep in.

Sean Paul Kelley
Central Austin